If there is one thing that I have completely developed and perfected over the past few months, it is my nightly routine. I have created a system for myself that really helps me unwind and get the absolute best night sleep ever! It can be hard to stick to it every night, especially when I am traveling so much. I do make it a point to stay committed to it as much as possible because I truly can tell a difference in my quality of sleep!
So here are a few of my tried and true tips on how to get the best zzz’s possible…
- WASH OFF YOUR MAKEUP… seriously.Make this an absolute must. I know whenever I don’t wash off my makeup before bed that I will immediately regret it in the morning. Sleeping in your makeup can wreak havoc on your pores and irritate your skin! It has been proven to cause excess fine lines over time and premature aging. I know that sometimes committing to this can be really hard especially if you are going out with friends or won’t be back home until really late. Set yourself up for success by having makeup wipes on your nightstand so that it is easy, simple, and you have no excuses. Your skin will always thank you for keeping it fresh and clean.
- Make Your BedWhether it be in the morning or even right before you go to sleep, I swear there is something so appealing about a bed that is pulled together. I also feel like for some reason it makes me feel like I have my life together? I don’t know if this is just a personal thing or if it’ll work for you too but it is worth a shot! So take a minute or two to shake out your covers and fluff your pillows so that when you hop into bed you feel even a little bit more put together. Another plus is when you have the time to clean your sheets!
- Make Pillow Sprays Your Best Friend (diffusers)I absolutely love pillow sprays, my goodness! There are so many different calming scents that can really help create a serene sleeping environment. My favorites are lavender, vanilla, and chamomile! It feels so luxurious to lay on a pillow that smells nice and inviting; like an at home spa!If you aren’t liking the idea of spraying scents on to your bed, there are also oil diffusers that are also absolutely amazing at creating the same effect. I mean, if you’re feeling wild, go ahead and use both!
- Lather On LotionOkay, I mean come on! Who doesn’t love to be lathered in delicious smelling lotion?!? One of my absolute favorite things to do before crawling into bed is to lather myself in lotion to help hydrate and nourish my skin. Not only is it great for your skin but it is also an awesome way to relax and soothe yourself after a long day! Take the time to really massage and soothe any sore muscles that you have and slow down from the hustle of your everyday life.
- MagnesiumOh yes, this is the most magical supplement ever I swear! I didn’t start taking magnesium until my mom told me about it which prompted me to do a little research. It turns out that a large majority of Americans are magnesium deficient. I could go on for days about magnesium (and I probably will make a post about it at some point) but to sum it up the benefits are amazing. It helps with digestion, is anti-inflammatory, and helps you sleep! I take magnesium in the form of a supplement that you can get at pretty much any Target or grocery store but there are also sprays and body oils that I have heard work wonders!
- Read Something That Uplifts YouThis is something I recently got really big on implementing in my nighttime routine and the effects have completely changed my life! Every night I make it a point to read a book on personal development or something that is motivational and uplifting. Holy craaaaap, I can’t even begin to explain how profound the difference in my mindset is since I started ending my night with this! I truly feel that the last thing you do before you fall asleep is extremely important which is one of the reasons I am so passionate about creating a relaxing and beautiful routine. Since I have started ending my night with reading these amazing books (I am currently making a post on books I’ve recommend that will be up soon!), I have woken up energized, focused, and completely excited to take on my day! So I encourage you to find a book, keep it on your nightstand, and read 10 minutes before you go to bed every night. It doesn’t have to be anything super intense or challenging, just a light and motivating read that uplifts you!
- Set Intentions For The Next DayThe final thing I like to do before calling it a night is to write down my plans/to do list/intentions for the next day. This is a great time to map out the important things you need to do and create an idea of how you would like the day to go! I know that in the morning I tend to be a little forgetful which is why I like to write out the things I want to accomplish the night before. I honestly feel like this helps set me up for success so incredibly much and truly optimizes how much I get done in my day!
Alright, you made it to the end of my list! I know it may seem like a lot of steps but it really isn’t all that time consuming by any means. I hope that you found something within this piece that interests you or that you might try out!
If you do try anything, I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts and experiences! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!